Descriptive Reflection

 Subject: Self Introduction

 

Dear Professor Blackstone

I am writing this letter to properly introduce myself to you. My name is Muhammad Daniel bin Rosli, and I currently am enrolled as a first year in the Robotics Systems Engineering (RSE) course in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and I am from your UCS1001 module. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

 

I had chosen to enroll in my current course in SIT due to my great interest in programming. During my years in polytechnic, I had barely touched about programming. That short moment however was enough to sway me, and I have chosen to pursue a career path revolving programming since then. The idea of writing code itself was honestly quite enticing. Strings of words that I write down are then executed to give me exactly what I asked for. I love logic and rationale, so it gives me satisfaction to just write code.

 

A weakness I believe I have in verbal communication skills is my need to explain. For context, if a person were to ask me for an explanation, I might find myself giving the same explanation maybe four different ways before I realize that I am talking too much for him or her to absorb what I have just said. The weakness however does not carry forward into communication skills in writing. In fact, it becomes a strength that I can come up with different explanations and finish up my writing with what I believe to be the best one. But a weakness is that sometimes I do end up being long-winded from combining my explanations in writing. A strength I feel I have in verbal communication skills would likely be improvising. I usually give a presentation or talk without any script, rather I prepare a message that I want to bring across and improvise what I say to convey that message.

 

In this module, I aim to brush up on my written communication skill. Being long-winded is terrible in writing and almost evokes boredom from having to read so much. Critical thinking should help as I see that it would pave the way to understanding what can be left out and what is crucial to be included in writing and verbal communication. I also want to refine my strength of improvising. I feel this ability might be a strength I have, but merely a mediocre one. I hope my time under your tutelage is not only fruitful, but enjoyable as well.

 

Sincerely,

Muhammad Daniel bin Rosli

Comments

  1. Hi Daniel, great story written here. However I realised that you did not check your letter thoroughly on your first paragraph, "Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT", you did not put your close bracket. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From first glance this looks detailed and interesting, Daniel. Thanks for posting.

    I'll give more comments once more of your blogging buddies have done so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flow of the overall blog feels nice, but for paragraph 3 where you talk about your strengths and weaknesses is messy as you jump from weakness in verbal to strength in written, followed by weakness in written and back to strength in verbal. Maybe you could write all the strength and weakness of verbal first then written or even split them into 2 paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall introduction letter was detailed and clear, organization of paragraphs was clear as well; the start of each paragraphs have a gist of what the paragraph would be about. However, for your last paragraph, the phrase 'likely also in' could be removed and cut straight to 'in writing and verbal communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Daniel,

    Thank you for this well focused, articulate letter. In it we learn quite a bit about you, in particular, your fascination for coding, your penchant for detail (and related explanations) and a way with words. Since written language is an interest of yours and your goal is to improve, here are a few minor pointers.

    1. language use/phrasing
    -- I had barely touched about programming. > I had barely studied programming.

    2. punctuation
    -- That short moment however was enough to sway me, and I have.... > (separate transition words and phrases) That short moment, however, was enough to sway me, and I have...
    -- The weakness however does not carry forward... > ?
    -- I usually give a presentation or talk without any script, rather I prepare a message ... > I usually give a presentation or talk without any script. Rather (OR Instead), I prepare a message ...

    Like I said, these issues are minor. Overall, your language fluency is excellent. I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

Critical Thinking: The Soul of Communication